Alan H. Ramsey, MD
The target audience for this learning activity includes mental health care providers including primary care providers (PCPs), psychiatrists, physicians, pharmacists, advanced practice registered nurses, physician assistants, registered nurses, health educators, and case managers.
The monograph, based on a Comparative Effectiveness Review (CER) from AHRQ's Effective Healthcare (EHC) Program, outlines evidence comparing the effectiveness and harms of first-generation antipsychotics (FGAs) and second-generation antipsychotics (SGAs) for adults with schizophrenia, schizophrenia-related psychoses, or bipolar disorder. The monograph aims to inform discussions of options with patients and caregivers and assist in decision making.
Overall Learning Purpose/Goal
At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Use evidence for comparative benefit or lack of benefit to support treatment of first- and second-generation antipsychotics when determining treatment for patients with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.
- Compare and contrast the adverse effects of first- and second- generation antipsychotics as used in treatment of patients with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.
- Identify current gaps in the knowledge and evidence base related to treatments for first- and second-generation antipsychotics for patients with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.
- For Pharmacists Only: Provide accurate and appropriate counsel as part of the treatment team.
- For Registered Nurses Only: Provide appropriate care and counsel for patients and their families.
- Case Managers – maximum of 1.0 clock hours
- Nurse Practitioners – maximum of 1.0 contact hours
- Registered Nurses – maximum of 1.0 contact hours
- Pharmacists – maximum of 1.0 contact hours
- Physicians – maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
Faculty & Credentials
Alan H. Ramsey, MD
Medical Director, Department of Emergency Services,
Reedsburg Area Medical Center
Physician Continuing Medical Education
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of Postgraduate Institute for Medicine and Hayes, Inc. The Postgraduate Institute for Medicine is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Postgraduate Institute for Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Pharmacist Continuing Education
Postgraduate Institute for Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
Postgraduate Institute for Medicine designates this continuing education activity for 1.0 contact hour(s) (0.1 CEUs) of the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education. (Universal Activity Number - 0809-9999-14-188-H01-P) Type of Activity: Application
Nursing Continuing Education
This educational activity for 1.0 contact hours is provided by Postgraduate Institute for Medicine. Designated for 0.0 contact hours of pharmacotherapy credit for Advance Practice Registered Nurses.
Postgraduate Institute for Medicine is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Nurse Practitioner Continuing Education
Hayes, Inc. is approved as a provider of nurse practitioner continuing education by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners: AANP Provider Number 140928. This program has been approved for 1.0 contact hours of continuing education. This program was planned in accordance with AANP CE Standards and Policies and AANP Commercial Support Standards.
Certified Health Education Specialists Continuing Education
Sponsored by Hayes, Inc., a designated a provider of continuing education contact hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. This program is designated for Certified Health Education Specialists (CHES) and/or Master Certified Health Education Specialists (MCHES) to receive up to 1.0 total Category I continuing education contact hours. Maximum entry-level continuing education contact hours available are 1.0.
Case Manager Continuing Education
This program has been pre-approved by The Commission for Case Manager Certification to provide continuing education credit to CCM® board certified case managers.
If you have questions about the presentation, please e-mail us at: Educationservices@hayesinc.com.
- This educational activity has been funded by AHRQ.
- There has been no outside commercial support for this activity.
- Presenter(s) and planning committee members have no conflicts of interest, relevant financial relationships, or sponsorships to disclose.
Postgraduate Institute for Medicine (PIM) requires instructors, planners, managers and other individuals who are in a position to control the content of this activity to disclose any real or apparent conflict of interest (COI) they may have as related to the content of this activity. All identified COI are thoroughly vetted and resolved according to PIM policy. PIM is committed to providing its learners with high quality CME activities and related materials that promote improvements or quality in healthcare and not a specific proprietary business interest of a commercial interest.
Criteria for successful completion
- Each participant must complete an evaluation and must successfully pass the posttest with a grade of 75% or higher to obtain the CE credit.
- For Pharmacists: Upon receipt of the completed activity evaluation form, transcript information will be available at www.mycpemonitor.net within 4 weeks
AHRQ requires a modern web browser (Internet Explorer 7+, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Google Chrome). Certain educational activities may require additional software to view multimedia, presentation, or printable versions of their content. These activities will be marked as such and will provide links to the required software. That software may be: Adobe Flash, Apple Quicktime, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Powerpoint, Windows Media Player, and Real Networks Real One Player.